Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Rose Bakery (style) Muffins

I’m one of those annoying morning people.  My power hours come early – even after a late Saturday night and one too many Cuba Libres, chances are I’ll still be up at 8am making these muffins.  The muffins make up for the irritating chirpiness.  I think.

They’re called ‘Rose Bakery (style) Muffins’ because they were inspired by muffins that Fiona and I were (begrudgingly) served on our trip to The Rose Bakery Café in Paris.  I usually find myself disappointed with breakfast muffins being either overly sweet or dry and mealy; these were near-perfect.  Since the café staff definitely did not suffer from early-morning chirpiness, we dared not ask for the recipe. 

This is Fiona’s recreation.

1-IMG_0145

What you’ll need:

Dry ingredients: 70g plain flour, 40g wholemeal flour, 20g brown sugar,  ⅛ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt

Wet ingredients:  ½ banana (mashed), 30g melted butter, ¼ cup buttermilk, 1 egg,  ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Fruit: 50g of your chosen fruit e.g blueberries, diced apple or pear, raspberries, strawberries (a mix of two types is good)

Here’s how:

Preheat the oven to 190°C and line a muffin tin with muffin cases.  Mix together the dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.  Add fruit.  Divide the mixture between the muffins cases evenly and bake for 15 –18 minutes.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a morning person too...way too morning... I get up at 4am everyday, no kidding!
anyway...these muffins look yum...If only I could bake! haha...I'll have to ask my sister to bake these, the vegan way...
thanks for sharing!

Camila Faria said...

I would probably bake them a day in advance... I'm nobody in the morning! They look pretty amazing!

Matthew Spade said...

I'm a morning person, maybe even morning and night person!

8 is good, 7 is better. Muffins will be ready by 9, perfecto.

Buckets & Spades

MARTA said...

I wish i was a better morning person - meaning i like to wake up early but it takes a bit for me to function like a normal person. I also don't like overly sweet or dry muffins so i think this recipe sounds perfect for me. Not sure i'd get some like yours,because yours look yummy!

Thelma Frayne said...

... I meant to mention this recipe makes 6 muffins!

Unknown said...

GIMME!

Shoko said...

these sound awesome. i'm a morning person, too, although i'm usually not up baking - i'm impressed!