Monday, February 4, 2013

Self-portraits

Creating self-portraits was one of those lazy last-minute Art class ideas on my part that ended up being a complete hit with the kids in my class.

P1090763

I think the reason this was the most popular idea I’ve had so far is because younger kids are completely (and adorably) self-obsessed by nature.  Seriously.  If you ever need to entertain anyone under the age of 6, looking and talking about a bunch of personal photos will keep them occupied for hours

P1090765

It’s also super-easy to organise: all I had to do was give out the various parts and leave the kids to the assembly.  I particularly enjoyed distributing the face templates while asking ‘What colour are you?’.  The answers (white, brown, yellow, orange…) were hilarious because of their limited colour-shade vocabulary and the absence of any kind of comprehension of racial difference.

The kids procrastinated over the placement of their googly eyes for ages and drew on their own noses and smiles, with surprisingly accurate results.  One kid drew a sad face (?).  I helped with the hairstyles to make sure we got them just right.

Rawan rocks a perfect messy top-knot like this every day. I feel like asking her mother what’s her secret, but I know that would be weird.

P1090762

Anyway, I always wanted to be able to show you some of the amazing people I work with, without putting photos of them on the internet and my job on the line!  Now I can!

10 comments:

The Dainty Dolls House said...

These are wonderful...love children's art!! You have a great job :)) xx

Erica said...

So super cute! The hair and googly eyes just kill me. You've got a fun crew there. :)

Carolina said...

wow - i am totally in love with your blog! it is gorgeous! keep on the good work - i follow now! <3
i'd be very glad if u could visit my blog too :)

My Blog + MARC JACOBS GIVEAWAY


FACEBOOK - MARC JACOBS GIVEAWAY

Unknown said...

These look amazing - such a sweet post T. If you find out Rawan's secret, let us know!

MARTA said...

Great great job Thelma! It's hard to come up with handcrafted ideas that kids really like and enjoy. Topnotch teacher! :)

Mitha Komala said...

i remember making those artworks when i was little =)

Letters To Juliet

Camila Faria said...

Oh, how sweet! Rawan top-knot is really fabulous, I love it!

Ashley said...

awwwwwwwwwwww. did you make one of yourself?

Thelma Frayne said...

Ha, I will Emma!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea!!